August 2021 Reading List
Just one? Then I’d recommend The Book of Trespass. It’s not the only book on the topic but it is beautifully written and sets out the injustice of land ownership in England. It is hard to see how we can ever reduce dismal inequalities until we grasp this nettle.
Oddly, I had tried to read Mountains of the Mind several times in the past and, for reasons I’m not quite sure of, I stalled and dropped it. It’s odd as reading it this time I flew through it and was struck by how much I had in common with Macfarlane in terms of mountain experience.
- The Book of Trespass by Nick Hayes
- On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder
- The Power of Strangers by Joe Keohane
- The New Climate War by Michael E. Mann
- First, They Erased Our Name by Habiburahman
- Mountains of the Mind by Robert Macfarlane
- Men Who Hate Women by Laura Bates
- Four Thousand Weeks by Oliver Burkeman